Chicken Mushroom Lo Mein
Nutrition information: per serving: 434 calories, 11 g total fat, 2 g
saturated fat, 45 mg cholesterol, 616 mg sodium, 54 g
carbohydrate, 28 g protein.
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 8 ounces linguine
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil (optional)
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (3 cups)
- 1 medium red or green sweet pepper, cut into 2-inch strips (1 cup)
- 4 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 ounces fresh pea pods, strings removed (1-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- Cut chicken into bite-sized strips. In a small bowl stir together
soy sauce, dry sherry, and cornstarch. Add chicken; stir to coat.
Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook linguine according to package directions,
omitting oil and salt. Drain well.
- Add cooking oil and sesame oil to a wok or 12-inch skillet.
Preheat over medium-high heat (add more oil if necessary during ,
cooking). Add mushrooms, red or green sweet peppers, and
green onions to wok; stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add pea pods and stir-
fry about 1 minute more or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
Remove vegetables from wok.
- Drain chicken, reserving liquid. Stir-fry chicken for 2 to 3 minutes
or until no longer pink. Combine water, bouillon granules, and
reserved marinade; add to wok. Cook and stir until thickened and
bubbly. Add drained linguine and cooked vegetables. Stir to coat.
Cook and stir about 1 minute more or until heated through.