- Soak lotus seeds to cold water in a bowl for a half hour.
- Bring to boil. Simmer on low heat 20 minutes. Drain and cool. Split into halves. Set aside.
- Put red dates in bowl on rack in pot or in steamer. Steam covered over boiling water 30 minutes. Set aside.
- Put rice in pot with water level 3/4 inch above rice. Bring to boil. Simmer 20 minutes. Stir in sugar and add 2 tablespoons oil, well mix. Set aside.
- Grease medium-sized bowl heavily with oil. Place cherry in center. Arrange lotus seeds, red dates, and candied fruits in circles around bottom and up to edge of bowl, glazed side down.
- Spread a layer of rice mixture over fruits carefully so as not to spoil the design. Spoon a layer of red bean paste over the rice. Cover with another layer of rice. Pack tight.
- Place bowl on rack in pot or in steamer. Cover. Steam over boiling water for 1 hour.
- Remove pudding carefully by running flexible spatula around edge. Put serving plate over bowl and invert bowl.